Friday 5 December 2014

KEANU REEVES, E. ALEXANDER POWELL  &  THE VISITING WRITER IN JUNE : THE UNDYING CHARMS OF BAKHTAPUR CITY ( Part 2 )


I'm lost for words when I step in to the 'living' ancient splendor of Bakhtapur City, another spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Site in Kathmandu, Nepal on the 6th June 2014. It's really like a blast from the past coming alive right in front of your eyes, as if I'm at an exotic filming location and a surreal land. Feels like a whole new world to me, all of a sudden looking at life through a different lens. There's a steady stream of crowds littering the city, but Bakhtapur is so regal and distinct on its own that it truly emanates the aura that it is unperturbed by time.... I'm glad that I could immerse myself with such a timeless realm.


No wonder this-out-of-this world city is considered as one of the world's top heritage sites. My heart there and then decides that this intriguing and unique city shall be the perfect ending venue for my next book, the title is either "The Return Of The Enlightened Twin" or "An Evening In Bakhtaphur". The Malay version would be known as "Kembar Yang Tertulis".


Bakhtapur can be translated as The City of Devotees. It is also known as Bhadgowan or Khwopa. Bakhtapur is also famed for its mask dances, dances relating to the lives of the deities, henceforth it is also known as Khwopa. Khwopa refers to the masks that are worn by gods and goddess. There's a thriving community of pottery makers and hands craftsmen, among others, in this living heritage city. Bakhtapur was honored by UNESCO with "The First Honorable Mention" for the Asia-Pacific region back in 1998/99 for the recognition of the great preservation efforts of this cultural city. It is interesting to note that Germans landed aid to restore Bakhtaphur's Durbar Square. Among others, the Germans helped developed the sewerage system for this pigeon shaped city.


Bakhtapur is famed for its Golden Gate (Lu Dhowka), the impressive Palace of Fifty-five Windows, the statue of King Bhupatindra Malla, the awesome Peacock Window craftsmanship, and Nyatapola Temple among others. At a glance, Bakhtaphur's Durbar Square seems to have some resemblances to the Durbar Square of Kathmandu. Durbar Square in Nepal basically refers to the areas and structures surrounding the old royal palace. Both Durbar Squares are appealing in different ways.


Prior to its unification, Nepal was once consisted of small kingdoms. Durbar Squares are the significant remnants of the old kingdoms in Nepal. There are 3 famous Durbar Square in Kathmandu Valley : Kathmandu Durbar Square, Bhaktaphur Durbar Square and Patan Durbar Square. These three Durbar Squares are UNESCO World Heritage Sites.


Since time immemorial, Bakhtapur laid on the main caravan trade route between Tibet and India. As such, it was a wealthy and prosperous city. The city is 1,401 meters above the sea level. Once upon a time, Bakhtapur was the capital of Nepal during the reign of the Malla Kingdom. As of now, Bakhtapur is the third largest city in the Kathmandu Valley. The city of Bakhtapur was also featured in Little Buddha movie directed by an Italian director, Bernardo Bertolucci. Keanu Reeves, Beirut born actor, starred in this movie, playing the role of Prince Siddartha Gauthama (Buddha).


Edward Alexander Powell was the New York born author of The Last Home of Mystery, published in 1929. Before embarking on a stint as an adventurer cum traveler, Powell used to be a war correspondent during World War 1 and an advertising manager for Smith Typewriter Company in London. The Last Home of Mystery was about an adventure in Nepal, among others.



I truly agree with E.Alexander Powell's quote:

'Were there nothing else in Nepal, save the Durbar Square of Bhaktapur (Bhatgoan), it would still be amply worth making a journey halfway round the globe to see'.


An English historian, archeologist and art critic known as Percy Brown, stated that the Golden Gate of Bakhtaphur as "the most lovely piece of art in the whole Kingdom; it is placed like a jewel, flashing innumerable facets in the handsome setting of its surroundings."



Three days after returning to my home from my trip to Nepal, I had a vivid and strange dream. In my dream, I was strolling at the foot of a mountain range. There must be a village nearby as I recalled seeing a grazing field. Not a soul was in sight at first, just me and the mountains. Out of nowhere, I heard a clearly audible echo of a lovely soul rousing lullaby sung passionately by a mountain lad. So heartily did he sing that it echoes into the entire mountain range, echoes into my soul as well. A rustling wind and a gentle breeze accompanied the passionate singing, truly like an epitome of a wind rhapsody....



In my life, I never had such a dream before, the song, so powerful that it lingers in my mind and it found its way to my heart. The way he sung was so out-of-this-world that it left me transfixed by such a trancing lullaby. Inexplicably, it brings great joy to my heart. When I was awaken, I started to sing, mimicking what I heard in the dream and I saved it as a recording. If I were a film maker, I would definitely feature that trancing song in my film. Sometimes, I hum the uplifting song and I really love it when, at times, gentle caressing breeze follow suits.



My visit to Bakhtaphur truly worth the experience, a great investment to my happiness bank. It is indeed another happy encounter on the 6th of June, a day in a year that I look forward to. It used to be my late father's birthday. He is no longer around, but I feel that from time to time he watches me from afar....




 I have these simple yet meaningful words below to say about Bakhtapur :


"It's like discovering a gem from within oneself........" Janeiro Star, a January born Author, Author of Rainchild & The River of Kings ).






1 comment: