Sunday 1 June 2014

FINDING EL DORADO IN BANGKOK      
An author's insight : Finding El Dorado In Bangkok







I can somewhat remember the first time ever I heard of the name Chao Phraya, a.k.a The River of Kings. I was just eleven, in the middle of a geography lesson on one scorching afternoon. I kept glancing at my wristwatch, couldn't wait for the class to be over. It was hard to pay attention in classes with my fidgety mind. I never really liked geography, I disliked tracing, drawing and coloring maps. However I did like the idea of being exposed to the knowledge on the various terrains of the world.

For no particular reason, the name of the major river that runs in the heart of Bangkok inexplicably caught my attention. Like a gumption to my wandering mind. The name of the river seemed mysteriously engaging to me. Many years later, I'm enchanted by the river that runs in the heart of Bangkok even more when I learnt that its name bears the meaning of "The River of Kings".


I love watching sunrises and sunsets. I never get tired of watching them and to me they are like the El Dorado in the sky. Watching the two phenomenal daily routines of the sun is like a free regal golden indulgence up high. An indulgence that humbles one's soul, a reminder of the God Almighty greatness. Nature is always an astounding beauty saturated with mystery. 

El Dorado can mean a mythical city of gold that is very much sought after or a metaphor that symbolizes an ultimate sought after prize such as happiness and wealth that one might spend a lifetime seeking it. The last chapter of my book ends with a poem entitled 'Ode to The River.' It captured the priceless and heart tugging moments about a daughter and her long lost cop father watching the sunset descending upon Wat Arun on the banks of the Chao Phraya River after being separated for more than twenty years.


My heart told me when I was eleven that one day I'll do something meaningful with the river. I thought that was really a silly and super crazy thought, what the heck can it be? Many years later, that very uncanny moment of that foolish thought during geography class was indeed a prophecy that turned my life around. Rainchild & The River of Kings is the book that officially kickstarted my career as an author. The miraculous union between a daughter who misses her detective cop father every single day and the unraveling of his fabricated death. In a bigger picture of things, my novel is about the power of believing in oneself.

Before 2012, I didn't intend to be an author and I didn't care much about writing, let alone the idea of writing a novel. It's Hazimin, my life partner who was an award winning ex tech journalist who unceasingly encouraged me to write. He believes that I have a flair for writing. Thanks for believing, amigo!

For better or worse, I went to Bangkok with a precious friend, @zeeman_01 (Our joint twitter account) who has been with me when it rains and when it shines. We went to Bangkok to meet ScottEddy - @MrScottEddy,the owner of a digital agency known as nine9nine co. We met him at the lobby of Aloft Hotel in Soi 11 on December 20 2012, a day before the last day in the Mayan calendar. ScottEddy was one of the key speakers at Malaysia Social Media Week (MSMW) 2014 at Sunway Pyramid, together with @IdeasAndrew, @TheTravelCamel, @EvanCarmichael among others. Two months later, we met Scott again and Andrew Chow @IdeasAndrew from Singapore at the DiGi Awards Workshop in Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur.





Scott is a serial entrepreneur of Lebanese descent whose late mom was born in Kingston Town, Jamaica. He is like an unofficial ambassador of Bangkok and Thailand. Scott has been staying in the land of smiles for at least a decade. He tirelessly promotes Bangkok and Thailand on his social media accounts. His detective cop father was killed in a plane crash when he was 18.

Despite Bangkok's chaotic ambience, strangely enough, I feel like its another 'home'. Bangkok to me is like a massive labyrinth of hectic splendor. A wonder city for the wanderlust. Like there are so many reels of invigorating images and fresh stories from every corner from many walks of life waiting to be discovered and to be given one shot,one slot, like waiting for a "record deal".


The sprawling city is far from the notion of a perfectly organized city, but it is perfect for those who can thrive in chaos. It's definitely not a sterile city and somewhat, the appeal lies within that fact. It never occurred to me that of all the places in the world, I landed in Bangkok in the the last day of the Mayan calendar. I guess I'm really glad that I did. 

On the day I landed at Suvarnabhumi (pronounced as Suwannapum) airport, there was an influx of tourists, it was year end and Christmas was just around the corner. 
Suvarnabhumi Airport is one of the most Instagramed Airport in the world other than LAX (Los Angeles) Airport. This airport name was chosen by the longest reigning head of state in the world, King Bhumibol Adulyadej of the Chakri dynasty who owns several rainmaking patents.

Apart from the bright colored taxis, other convenient modes of moving around in Bangkok are the BTS (Bangkok Mass Transit System) and ARL (Airport Rail Link ). The train stops are well connected and in close proximity to places of interests around the city. Apart from the usual priority seating for pregnant ladies and elderly people, the train in Bangkok has seat reservation for monks.


Another great thing that is uniquely a Bangkok experience is traveling in its massive waterway, i.e. the Chao Phraya river. I cruised along the River of Kings with Hazimin on 21 December 2012. We embarked our journey on the river boat from the Sathorn pier and the rest is history. I fell in love with the river.

Bangkok is also famous for its assortment of its legendary street food such as Somtam, sticky rice mango, Pad Thai, Pad Si Ew among others. It's not hard to find halal food across the city as well. Bangkok recently has been declared the world’s “Foodiest City". It is a city that caters to many taste buds. In Petchaburi Soi 5, somewhere near the Phaya Thai neighborhood that is close to the center of Bangkok, there are plenty of street food carts and an assortment of noodle vendors selling such delicacies as tom yam goong and snacks. In short, food stalls are in abundance everywhere across the town. In Soi 11 itself , there was somtam stall and stall selling grilled chicken among others.


Bangkok is a maddening variety for great sightseeing. Floating markets, flower markets, Chatuchak market, Muay Thai fighting arena, Chinatown full of gold shops and textile haven in Indian Town and the taste of the glorious old world in Ayyuthaya. It's interesting to note that there are shops around Bangkok in Sukhumvit that sell vinyl records. 



It is indeed exhilarating to explore the town filled with magnificent temples and spirit shrines and graced by a majestic river that earned Bangkok the nickname of The Venice of The East. The were water peddlers whom selling their wares all their life afloat under the blazing sun to earn a living. Among the water peddlers, there were water chefs as well.The antiquity of the Venice of the East is really something for tourists to feast. A unique blend of contrasting elements of luxury and poverty, modern world versus the old world.

Hopping in a Tuktuk to travel around Bangkok was an exciting thing but tourists need to be wary of some Tuktuks operators and their scams. We met one Tuktuk driver who at the end of the day gleefully asked to be known as Mr. Job, but he didn't know who Steve Jobs was. Mr. Job led us to a tailor shop with an Italian name and gem jewellers instead of Siam Paragon. An unwanted detour but it gave me an idea to weave a story. My great grandparents used to be jewelers and gem traders as well as goldsmiths based in Malacca, Port Klang and Singapore.





During my stay in Bangkok, I've set my foot on the most Instagramed mall in the world known as Siam Paragon and we went there on 21st December. There was display of luxury cars and a state of the art cinema in that upscale mall. We had lunch at MBK (Mah Boon Krong Plaza ) and met a friendly Sri Lankan cook who loved working in this city. While in Bangkok, we caught a glimpse of the much hyped Khao San Road, the hub of backpackers and the inglorious Patpong. It's truly a great experience to watch Wat Arun upclose, it is a famous landmark of Thailand that used to grace the postcards from Thailand. It has a tall and unique looking spires.




By the time I'm writing this, though BKK right now is plagued with grueling political unrest and currently subjected to martial law, I believe that gradually, measures will be taken to boost tourism to lure tourists again to the capital city of Thailand.

I went to Bangkok like a tourist of destiny, going there on the last day of the Mayan calendar to seek a new beginning. The city somehow inspires me to embark on a career as an author. It gives me a sense of fulfillment. This capital city of the Kingdom of Siam will be dearly remembered by me from time to time. My journey there was indeed a trip of destiny.


Hazimin, to you I owe a lot, can never thank you enough. Scott, thank you for "introducing" me to Bangkok and for the inspiration from time to time. I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank Grinner Wolf @AFaiz_Rahman, Dr. Ronny Adhikarya, Siti Syameen @sitisyameen, beloved Abah and mothers.


To those who support me whereever you're, my warm thanks to you all from my heart of hearts!


Tourist of BKK @ Krungthep, The City of Angel,

Janeiro Star (Noraisyah Bahrim)
A January (Janeiro) born author whom first published article was in The Star (a Malaysian English daily).

About me 

An author and a poet who loves to travel and fascinated with airplanes, trains, speed and pets. Needs music to write.

The author of Rainchild & The River Of Kings  published by Trafford (currently known as Partridge SG)

No comments:

Post a Comment